Homeowners have many decisions to make when it comes to garage doors. One of the most basic choices is the material of the door. If you’re considering a wood garage door, we’re here to help. Wood is a time-tested material for garage doors and can certainly add value to your home. We’ve compiled a list of the pros and cons of wood garage doors to help you determine if it’s right for your home.
Pros of Wooden Garage Doors
The advantages of a wood garage door make this style popular for many homeowners. With this classic door, you can enjoy a lasting investment in your home’s exterior. The following are pros of wooden garage doors:
- Sophistication: One of the first things you will notice about a wood door is its stunning appearance. This door can complement your home with a classy and stylish look.
- Environmental friendliness: Since wood is a renewable resource, these doors may be a more eco-friendly choice. If you’re worried about your footprint, this may be the best door for you.
- Aesthetic compatibility: A wood door complements many aesthetics – traditional, carriage house, modern, craftsman or completely custom. You can choose the style that fits your home’s design.
- Property value: As with any home improvement, your return on investment is in property value. A wood garage door can enhance curb appeal and be an attractive selling point.
Cons of Wooden Garage Doors
Though these will depend on your preferences or style, there are some disadvantages to wooden garage doors. Here are some reasons people may not choose this material:
- Maintenance: Because of wood’s natural qualities, you will need to perform upkeep on your door. Most homeowners do this by staining or painting their wooden doors.
- Insulation: In many cases, a wood door may not be insulated and, as a result, may not be the most energy-efficient choice
- Cost: Most of the time, and especially for a stain-grade quality door, wood will be more expensive than a steel option both in initial price as well as routine maintenance
Learn More About Hunter Door Today
Hunter Door offers a wide selection of high-quality garage doors in wood and steel from trusted manufacturers. We offer many styles of residential garage doors complemented with thorough, professional installation to complete the job.
Visit our showroom to see our doors for yourself or connect with us online for more information.